Remote believers in villages throughout Papua New Guinea have a number of unique and challenging needs from learning basic literacy, needing access to lessons and Bible study resources along with needing access a plethora of other materials covering a range of topics like education, health & hygiene, community development and so much more. Here’s an opportunity where you might be able to come in and help!
Have you recently been around a child learning to read? Or can you remember learning to read yourself? How do you improve over time? Through reading, of course!
As the remote peoples of Papua New Guinea are learning to read in their language for the first time as adults, the reading material available to them is quite limited. So to address this need, our Church Development Resources team here has started an initiative to reinforce newly learned reading and writing skills, and you can be involved!
Why does it matter how well they can read? New Tribes Mission PNG has a vision to see the remote churches of Papua New Guinea confidently stand upon God’s Word. So we want to equip them to read it and understand it at a deep level because…
How can you help?
- If you’re an author, you could volunteer to write a short book (at least 20-60 pages) that a tribal missionary can then oversee having remote peoples translate into their local language and then have them published and printed for use in reading practice programs. (Click here for information on volunteering as an author)
- If you are an artist, we can use your skills to illustrate books to help with reading comprehension and understanding context. These illustrations should be black and white line drawings or even basic doodles that communicate meaning. (Click here for information on volunteering as an illustrator)
- If you are a translator, we could really use your help with adapting English versions of our materials into other languages including English to Simple English. (Click here for information on volunteering as a translator)
- If you are an editor, our biggest need right now is to help evaluate and in many cases work with our authors to better tailor submissions to be suitable to our remote local village audiences. This can take a fair bit of training but with time you can have a direct impact on the speed of these books making it to our intended audience, the very local believers we work amongst. If you think you might be able to help in this way, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Another key role is that of publisher/author liaison. We could really use your help contacting copyright owners and asking permission to utilize their excellent material. (Click here for information on volunteering as a publisher liaison)
- Finally, can you pray with us and help spread the word to others about this project too?
If any of the above sounds like a fit for you or someone you know, please contact our literacy team by emailing email@example.com and let us know a bit about yourself and how you might be able to help as a volunteer contributor.