Have you recently been around a child learning to read? Or can you remember learning to read yourself? How do you improve over time? Through reading, of course!
As the remote peoples of Papua New Guinea are learning to read in their language for the first time as adults, the reading material available to them is quite limited. So to address this need, our literacy team here has started an initiative to reinforce newly learned reading and writing skills, and you can be involved!
Why does it matter how well they can read? New Tribes Mission PNG has a vision to see the remote churches of Papua New Guinea confidently stand upon God’s Word. So we want to equip them to read it and understand it at a deep level.
How can you help?
- If you’re an author, you could volunteer to write a short book (at least 50-60 pages) that a tribal missionary can then oversee having remote peoples translate into their local language and then have them published and printed for use in reading practice programs. (Click here for information on volunteering as an author)
- If you are an artist, we can use your skills to illustrate books to help with reading comprehension and understanding context. These illustrations should be black and white line drawings or even basic doodles that communicate meaning. (Click here for information on volunteering as an illustrator)
- If you are an editor or have other technical skills, we could really use your help both in adapting existing materials as well as help with the proofing and editing of newer materials. (Click here for information on volunteering as an editor)
- If you are a translator, we could really use your help with adapting English versions of our materials into other languages including English to Simple English. (Click here for information on volunteering as a translator)
- Another key role is that of publisher/author liaison. We could really use your help contacting copyright owners and asking permission to utilize their excellent material. (Click here for information on volunteering as a publisher liaison)
- Finally, can you pray with us and help spread the word to others about this project too?
If any of the above sounds like a fit for you or someone you know, please contact our literacy team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know a bit about yourself and how you might be able to help as a volunteer contributor.